[photopress:howard07.jpg,full,alignleft] As summer approaches and many of us stop thinking about curling for the summer I thought it would be a good idea to recap a few thoughts as I enter my summer curling hibernation. So, with that – here goes:
- The year of Glenn Howard? – A Brier win, a world championship, and handled it all with grace to boot. Hard to imagine a better year for Glenn and his team from the Coldwater & District Curling Club. Neat to see him finally establish himself as a leader in the sport and step out from his big brother’s shadow to a certain extent.
- Will we see another Brier here in Southern Ontario again anytime soon? It was a great event to attend – but I would have to say at this point its a real longshot. The crowds were sparadic in Hamilton and as such it seems like centraizing Briers around locations like Edmonton, Winnipeg and Regina makes the most sense for the sport. It is a ‘big arena’ sport now it would seem
- CurlTV – has it turned the corner? It has been neat to watch the progress of CurlTV as they try and establish themselves as an online ‘TV’ destination. The quality of the product has improved greatly in the past year, but the business model of ad and subscription supported online video remains to be seen. Maybe in ’07-08?
- And what about CurlQuebec.tv ?
- Curling on the Internet – seems to be coming along nicely. CurlingZone.com still appears to be the centre of the universe for the average (and avid) curler, but other sites like InTheHack.com with its news stream andÃ‚ the Curling Show with its impressive curling podcast interviews still have much to offer curlers online. And don’t forget blogs as well, the Curling News blog is the gold standard with upstarts like our humble blog (CurlingRink.ca) trying to add something as well. Look for more in ’07-08…
Have a great summer everyone!!
Team at CurlingRink.ca